The PSNet Collection: All Content
Search All Content
- Care Coordination(2)
- Communication Improvement(38)
- Computerized Decision Support(3)
- Computerized Provider Order Entry (CPOE)(2)
- Culture of Safety(8)
- Education and Training(28)
- Error Reporting and Analysis(20)
- Human Factors Engineering(14)
- Legal and Policy Approaches(6)
- Logistical Approaches(11)
- Policies and Operations(11)
- Quality Improvement Strategies(21)
- Research Directions(9)
- Specialization of Care(20)
- Technologic Approaches(22)
- Transparency and Accountability(4)
- Alert fatigue(2)
- Device-Related Complications(3)
- Diagnostic Errors(14)
- Discontinuities, Gaps, and Hand-Off Problems(26)
- Failure to rescue(2)
- Inpatient suicide(2)
- Interruptions and distractions(8)
- Medical Complications(19)
- Medication Safety(26)
- Nonsurgical Procedural Complications(1)
- Psychological and Social Complications(16)
- Transitions of Care(3)
Derfel A. Montreal Gazette. February 24- March 1, 2023
Abelson R. New York Times. December 15, 2022.
Human factors engineering or ergonomics (HFE) is a scientific discipline broadly focused on interactions among humans and other elements of a system.
Dr. Pascale Carayon, PhD, is a professor emerita in the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering and the founding director of the Wisconsin Institute for Healthcare Systems Engineering (WIHSE). Dr. Nicole Werner, PhD, is an associate professor in the Department of Health and Wellness Design at the Indiana University School of Public Health-Bloomington. We spoke with both of them about the role of human factors engineering has in improving healthcare delivery and its role in patient safety.
Appropriate follow-up of incidental abnormal radiological findings is an ongoing patient safety challenge. Inadequate follow-up can contribute to missed or delayed diagnosis, potentially resulting in poorer patient outcomes. This study describes implementation of an electronic health record-based referral system for patients with incidental radiologic finding in the emergency room.
Manojlovich M, Krein SL, Kronick SL, et al. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; August 2022. AHRQ Publication No. 22-0026-2-EF.