The PSNet Collection: All Content
Search All Content
- Clinical Guideline(1)
- Journal Article(1890)
- Newspaper/Magazine Article(155)
- Patient Safety Innovations(16)
- Patient Safety Primers(15)
- Perspectives on Safety(19)
- Press Release/Announcement(15)
- Special or Theme Issue(51)
- WebM&M Cases(83)
- Web Resource(89)
- Behavioral change(2)
- Care Coordination(11)
- Communication Improvement(497)
- Computerized Decision Support(33)
- Computerized Provider Order Entry (CPOE)(33)
- Culture of Safety(442)
- Education and Training(525)
- Error Reporting and Analysis(543)
- Human Factors Engineering(306)
- Legal and Policy Approaches(192)
- Logistical Approaches(237)
- Policies and Operations(156)
- Quality Improvement Strategies(371)
- Research Directions(157)
- Specialization of Care(122)
- Technologic Approaches(277)
- Transparency and Accountability(39)
- Alert fatigue(30)
- Device-Related Complications(70)
- Diagnostic Errors(74)
- Discontinuities, Gaps, and Hand-Off Problems(262)
- Drug shortages(2)
- Failure to rescue(42)
- Fatigue and Sleep Deprivation(52)
- Identification Errors(30)
- Inpatient suicide(10)
- Interruptions and distractions(91)
- Medical Complications(380)
- Medication Safety(606)
- MRI safety(1)
- Nonsurgical Procedural Complications(47)
- Psychological and Social Complications(395)
- Second victims(48)
- Surgical Complications(181)
- Transfusion Complications(3)
- Transitions of Care(13)
- Clinical Laboratory Managers and Supervisors(1)
- Family Members and Caregivers(13)
- General Public(80)
- Health Care Executives and Administrators(1933)
- Health Care Providers(1239)
- Health Professional Students(5)
- Hospital Pharmacists(8)
- Non-Health Care Professionals(751)
- Public Health Professionals(14)
- --United States(16)
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)(1)
- Australia and New Zealand(117)
- Canadian Patient Safety Institute(2)
- Central and South America(6)
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI)(3)
- Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP)(12)
- ISMP Canada(1)
- Joint Commission Resources(1)
- National Quality Forum(2)
- North America(1532)
- Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine(2)
Seeking a sustainable process to enhance their hospitals’ response to sepsis, a multidisciplinary team at WellSpan Health oversaw the development and implementation of a system that uses customized electronic health record (EHR) alert settings and a team of remote nurses to help frontline staff identify and respond to patients showing signs of sepsis. When the remote nurses, or Central Alerts Team (CAT), receive an alert, they assess the patient’s information and collaborate with the clinical care team to recommend a response.
Anyone can find it challenging to understand medical terms, and millions of Americans have trouble understanding and acting upon health information. Health literate organizations make health systems easier to navigate and health information easier to understand, improving healthcare delivery and outcomes.
Patient falls in hospitals are common and debilitating adverse events that persist despite decades of effort to minimize them. Improving communication across the assessing nurse, care team, patient, and patient’s most involved friends and family may strengthen fall prevention efforts. A team at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts, sought to develop a standardized fall prevention program that centered around improved communication and patient and family engagement.
Surana K. Pro Publica. May 19, 2023.
Stafford K. AP News. May 23, 2023.
ISMP Patient Safety Alert! Acute care edition. May 18, 2023;28(10);1-3.
Farnborough, UK: Healthcare Safety Investigation Branch; April 2023.
Boston, MA; Betsy Lehman Center; April 2023.
Moyal-Smith R, Margo J, Maloney FL, et al. J Patient Saf. 2023;19(4):243-248.
Salvon-Harman J. Healthcare Executive. 2023;39(3):48-49.