The PSNet Collection: All Content
Search All Content
- Communication Improvement(5)
- Culture of Safety(2)
- Education and Training(5)
- Error Reporting and Analysis(12)
- Human Factors Engineering(4)
- Legal and Policy Approaches(2)
- Policies and Operations(1)
- Quality Improvement Strategies(7)
- Specialization of Care(1)
- Technologic Approaches(3)
ISMP Medication Safety Alert!: Acute Care Edition. December 1, 2022;27(24):1-3.
A 78-year-old woman with macular degeneration presented for a pars plana vitrectomy (PPV) under monitored anesthesia care (MAC) with an eye block. At this particular hospital, eye cases under MAC are typically performed with an eye block by the surgeon after the anesthesiologist has administered some short-acting sedation, commonly with remifentanil. On this day, there was a shortage of premixed remifentanil and the resident – who was unfamiliar with the process of drug dilution – incorrectly diluted the remifentanil solution.
ISMP Medication Safety Alert! Acute care edition. September 22, 2011;16:1-3.