Catching deadly drug mistakes.
Approach to Improving Safety
- Error Reporting
- Provider-Patient Communication
- Human Factors Engineering
- Bar Coding and Radiofrequency ID Tagging
- Computerized Adverse Event Detection
- Electronic Health Records
This column highlights the work of the Institute for Safe Medication Practices and other groups to raise awareness of medication safety issues, including an initiative to distribute error reports to practitioners, called the National Alert Network for Serious Medication Errors.