Preventing medication errors in hospitals through a systems approach and technological innovation: a prescription for 2010.
Approach to Improving Safety
- Failure Mode Effects Analysis
- Human Factors Engineering
- Automatic drug dispensers
- Bar Coding and Radiofrequency ID Tagging
- Computerized Decision Support
- Computer-Assisted Therapy
- Electronic Health Records
Setting of Care
- Health Care Executives and Administrators
- Information Professionals
The authors suggest a model process utilizing failure mode and effects analysis to effectively implement emerging technologies that help minimize medication error.