2009 National Patient Safety Goals.
Approach to Improving Safety
- Read Back Protocols
- Structured Hand-offs
- Human Factors Engineering
- Laboratory Result Tracking Improvement
- Medication Reconciliation
- Discontinuities, Gaps, and Hand-Off Problems
- Look-Alike, Sound-Alike Drugs
- Nosocomial Infections
- Wrong Patient
- Patient Falls
- Surgical Site Infections
Setting of Care
This commentary provides background on the development of the Joint Commission's 2009 National Patient Safety Goals and summarizes the goals set for the hospital environment.