Selection Criteria and Honorarium Information
We are looking for interesting, provocative cases that illustrate key issues in patient safety and quality. Cases including complete information can be processed more quickly (but note the word limit for each section of the submission form).
When a case is selected, the editors invite an expert author to write a commentary based on the case. Note that if your case is selected, you do not receive any "authorship" because case submissions are anonymous. (Do not provide any personally identifiable information, and do not use institution names or locations.)
How a Case Is Selected
The editors review submitted cases regularly and judge cases using the following criteria:
- How interesting is the case clinically?
- How interesting is the case from a medical error/patient safety standpoint?
- Is the case an important example of a common error, or is it unique but nevertheless raises some key issues of general interest?
- Does the case have major educational value?
- Does the case highlight important systems issues?
You may be contacted if further information is needed to judge your case submission.
Submitters of selected cases will receive $300, paid anonymously through PayPal. If your case is selected, you will receive detailed instructions via e-mail on how to collect payment. In general, case submitters should expect a reply regarding their submission within 10–12 weeks.